We hope you have enjoyed your stay here at The University Group. We hope that you will think of us again in the future should your housing-needs change.
It is crucial you have your apartment repaired/cleaned and your keys turned in on time in order to avoid additional fees. If you move out early, you may turn in your keys at that time (you are still responsible for rent and utility payments through the end of your lease agreement). On the day your lease expires, you must be moved out and have all keys turned in no later than 12:00NOON. In the event you have not checked out by the cut-off at 12:00PM, you will be charged three times the daily rate for the delay and any additional fees assessed by contractors, as well as damages due to any future resident. Please refer to your Lease Agreement for specific details on this matter.
Please also keep in mind that you are obligated to keep all utilities ON through the ending date of your contract. The proper procedure for disconnecting utilities is to contact AmerenIP at 800-755-5000 for power and Illinois American Water at 217-352-1420 for water. Please remember your responsibility for all utilities do not end until the contract does. If any utilities need to be reconnected for cleaning or maintenance purposes before the expiration of your lease, you will be charged for the usage of those utilities and any reconnection charges. You can easily avoid any additional fees by planning ahead and contacting AmerenIP and Illinois American Water ahead of time.
Monday- Friday: 10AM-5PM
Replacement Key Costs: $25-$140
Make sure you check your mailbox one last time before you leave a correct forwarding address with the post office!
The following is a checklist to assist you in your move-out efforts. This list gives you the specific items we will be checking when assessing charges. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Apartment Clean-Up Procedures
- Sweep and wash (if needed) your patio or balcony. Trash or trash/food stains will result in a charge.
- Wash inside and outside of front entry door and patio/balcony door.
- Thoroughly clean (sweep and mop) entry tile floor.
- Wipe down all furniture (dining room table and chairs and bar stools).
- Make sure blinds are down and not broken, bent and dust free.
- Vacuum out sofa and chair, making sure to get underneath all cushions.
- Thoroughly clean exterior of oven and oven drawer.
- Use oven cleaner to clean oven interior. Easy-Off Fume Free is an easy and odorless product that works well. If you still need additional cleaning on stubborn spills, use a mild detergent and/or a steel wool pad.
- Remove oven drawer, clean the drawer and sweep out from the underneath the drawer.
- Make sure vent hood is cleaned.
- Make sure broiler pan is completely clean and placed in the stove drawer. Oven cleaner works well on the broiler pan, using the "cold" directions on the can.
- Clean walls, cabinets, and floor under and around stove
- Wash all inside and outside surfaces. If the door handles appear dirty, Ajax is a perfect product for removing the dirt that will not easily wipe off.
- Don't forget the crisper cover and drawers (inside and underneath). If the crisper cover is cracked or broken, it will have to be replaced.
- Dump all ice from icemaker and wash the receptacle and maker, lift the lever to the off position.
- Clean all drawers, compartments, and shelves.
- DO NOT TURN OFF THE REFRIGERATOR!
Cabinets and Countertops
- Cabinet interior and drawers should be free of shelf lining, crumbs, and dust.
- All cabinet doors should be wiped down to remove water spots and food drips or spills.
- Wipe-off all countertops.
- Clean the tops of the cabinets (people often forget items they have stored up there!).
- Thoroughly clean inside and out and around the edges, especially the door. Iron Out is a product that will remove any orange staining you have due to iron in the water.
- Clean out any glass or plastic in the bottom of the dishwasher and around the spray arm.
- Sweep the floor to remove all dirt and debris.
- If the floors have been cleaned on a regular basis, a disinfecting cleaner should be all you need to mop the floors. DO NOT APPLY ANY TYPE OF FLOOR WAX!
- Kitchen sinks should be scrubbed and free of water spots, stains, or soap film.
- Make sure the kitchen faucet is clean, paying special attention to the area around the faucet knobs.
- Make sure the garbage disposal is free of all food/objects.
- Wash inside and outside of vanity cabinet. Wipe or scrub all drawers and cabinets, and wipe off countertops.
- Clean the mirror with Windex or similar product.
- Thoroughly scrub all ceramic tile walls above and around the bathtub. Use a product such as Tilex or The Works Bathroom Cleaner to clean the grout as well as the tiles. You may have to clean the tiles around the soap dish several times to get them to shine and be free of soap film. Scour the bottom and sides of the tub with Ajax until all dirt and soap residue is gone. Don't forget to scour the soap dish and temperature knobs also. Make sure there are no rust rings on the edge of the tub. When you are done, we suggest drying the walls of the shower as well with a paper towel to ensure that there are no streaks left from your cleaner. Some cleaners will dry and leave a film, which will result in a charge to you, as we will still have to re-clean so it is streak free.
- Clean vanity sink including the faucet (sometimes a toothbrush must be used around the knobs to get them completely clean).
- Clean toilet bowl and tank; make sure exterior of toilet, lid, and bowl are clean, as well as the underneath side of the rim on the bowl. Pay special attention to the toilet base.
- Sweep and mop the bathroom floor (please review the advice provided under Kitchen Floor above).
- Wash interiors of all windows with Windex or a similar product.
- Wipe down the top (locks) and tracks of all windows. Also, wipe down all windowsills.
- Wash blinds as necessary, most are merely dusty and can be easily cleaned with a dry paper towel or vacuum.
- Wipe down all furniture (desk/chest of drawers, closet shelving, and desk chair).
- Clean ceiling fan: blades and lights
Walls: All walls should be free of marks, stains and damage.
- Do NOT fill in nail holes with toothpaste. You will be charged for us to redo the work properly.
- DO fill in nail holes with spackling compound.
- All mini-blinds must be completely clean and undamaged.
- Clean all doors on both sides, including closets. Fingerprints wipe-off easily.
- Wash/wipe-down all closet and pantry shelves.
- Thoroughly vacuum all carpeting.
- Wash/wipe-down all light fixtures to remove dust and bugs.
- Clean all fingerprints/grime from walls, doors, and light switches.
- All light bulbs should be working and must match within the same light fixture.
- If you had an unauthorized pet in your apartment at any time during your lease term, you will be charged a $250 fine plus additional cleaning charges.
- Do not leave any of your personal belongings or trash in the apartment. Removal by our staff will result in additional charges. Regardless of how small or insignificant the items(s) may be.
- Do NOT use bleach of any kind.
Please refer to the following list for some recommendations on cleaning products409 disinfecting cleaner
- Windex Glass & Surface
- S.O.S pads
- Top Job
- Mr. Clean
- Ajax or Comet
- The Works Bathroom Cleaner
- The Works Toilet Cleaner
One other item that we need to remind you of; if you have items in the apartment that are in need of maintenance or repair, please be sure to report them to our Maintenance Department (217)352-1472 immediately so that they can be repaired prior to move out time. You have an obligation to report all problems in a timely manner. This helps us schedule our time more efficiently, but also helps by keeping small repairs from becoming big repairs down the road. You can be held responsible for the cost of maintenance repairs if they are found at move out and were never reported. Please call the office or stop in prior to that time to make a maintenance request. We will be happy to assist you.
We feel it is important to communicate with you our expectations, as our goal is to find your apartment in move-in condition, allowing us to avoid charges against your account. If you have any questions on any of the items herein, please feel free to call our office at 217-352-3182. We thank you again for choosing to stay with us the past year, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!